Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thorn's Big Mistakes #6

So I 4-table Rush Poker now, getting in around 1,000 hands an hour. Yup. 1 grand. That's like 14-16 tabling a normal internet table. Or playing 50+ hours at a live table. I squeeze that into one hour. Thank you FTP. Truly.

So how is that a big mistake? Well, it isn't, really. But it's led to an entirely new mistake that I not only didn't have before, but also can't just look at and quick fix it like my earlier leaks.

The mistake: Mistyping bet amounts. Going so fast, I just type numbers into my numpad and hit enter. Once, that led me to lose about 4/5 a buy-in more than I should have, essentially going all in instead of just betting pot in a bet/fold situation. That was my first encounter with the issue, and it made me die a little inside. Since then, I've mistyped a few bet amounts, betting $2 instead of $1, etc. Thankfully, most of the times it didn't matter, villains folded or I minraised preflop instead of 3x BB.

Heck, it even probably made me money once. I was dealt everyone's favorite aces in MP, I open with a standard 3x BB bet, half-stacked button calls, 100BB stack 3x 3-bets me from the BB, and I go to 2.5x 4-bet him... only to end up sticking my whole 180 BB stack in the middle due to a typing error. Amazingly, by the grace of the poker donkey spirit, the button calls. Even more amazingly, the BB tanks for a while, and then HE calls! They show 77 and QQ, respectively, the BB says he put me on AK since I shoved so hard, I dodge the 4 combined outs, and it's suddenly Christmas in July.

Still, I'd rather be able to control my bet sizing a bit better.

3 comments:

  1. I've found in small stakes MTT, if you make a big raise, they will often fold. But, if you go all in, many times someone will call with hands like A-9 suited, and real crap like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I love playing people like that.

    "If they overbet, they clearly can't have a good hand, because they'd bet small to draw me in. You know, like I do."

    I've started using overbets in Rush Poker in a few spots, like when I suddenly hit the nuts on the river when the limped pot gets checked down, and find myself getting called by 2nd pair, top pair no kicker, all sorts of garbage. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, this is usually a tell: Let's say on the river, they think and think then check. It usually means they have a hand they want to see the river with, but don't want to hear a big bet. (By thinking so long, they're sending a message that they were considering betting themselves - thus, they hope you will check it down, too.)

    Sometimes, that knowledge allows you to bet-size effectively, based on your hand of course.

    Example, if they do that, you can make a bet that you think they will call if you have the nuts. Otherwise, you can bet really big if you think you can steal.

    ReplyDelete