Thursday, September 30, 2010

Workin' out!

I do a desk job and my biggest hobby is poker, so I don't exercise too much in the course of a normal day. I've been trying to stay healthy. Both my dad's parents went to heart attacks in their 50s. My mom's mom went last year with a heart attack, too, and my dear old grandpa, while he's still around, had a stroke a few years back.

You might say I have a bit of a family history.

So a few months back my housemate and I decided to get into p90x, some extreme workout program that's supposed to kick your ass into shape in 90 days with a full body circuit regimen, including a diet plan. Can't say I followed the diet much beyond trying to eat healthier and in the better 5 medium meals a day category (and I got a little addicted to chocolate protein shakes. Delicious), but the exercise portion did me well. Sure, my results weren't as drastic as, say, this stuff, but I definitely got some good results. Highly recommended, but it's a grueling workout. After finishing it last month, I've slacked off a bit. Sadly, I haven't done a workout in like 2 weeks.

Funny story about starting, though. The ab workout killed a muscle group I didn't even know the proper name for, much less have ever worked out. I say ab workout, but it's really full core. That's why my hip flexors refused to work the next 3 days. What's a hip flexor? Hell if I know. I just know that you need them to walk upright. Because I looked like an old man at the rife old age of 23.

The receptionist had a good chuckle out of that.

Maybe after I get married I'll start workin' out again. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment