Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Moneyin' the VeryJosie!

Last week, as I was looking around the tournaments on Full Tilt before the Mookie started, I saw the Very Josie Poker tournament. It's a KO, double stack structure, just how I like it, and I've heard a bunch about it from Waffles's blog, so I decided to register!

And I waited.

And waited.

... and then the tournament canceled because I was the only entrant. :(

9:00 PM EST, Wednesday... that's right. Where did ol' Thorn go so wrong?

It turns out the Very Josie is only held the first Wednesday of each month! Boy, did I feel silly being the only one who didn't know what was going on. The ever-spunky, lovely Josie herself cleared that up for me, though.

Tonight, I got in on the right day, at the right time. And I'm glad I did! I ended up taking 3rd, finishing just in the money, and taking one bounty, courtesy of wolfshead.

I ended up being taken out by the always pleasant Mojo, who at this very moment is STILL battling heads up for the win. In hindsight, I misplayed the hand I went out on, and Mojo was there to collect.

Mojo 3x raised from the button, and I just 2.4x 3-bet him to put half my stack in with 66. He had pretty great odds to call me since antes were in effect, so he did, he hit the flop, called my inevitable shove, and voila, here we are. The best play would've been just shoving pre-flop so I would have a bit more fold equity. Ah well. I'll remember for next time.

Update: Just watched him take it down. Congrats, Mojo!

4 comments:

  1. Actually, I like how you play your last hand (even though it didn't work). It was a stop and go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your probably screwed anyways... Mojo showed enough strength and it seems like your stack was small enough or his large enough that even if you jam he calls.. I could be wrong there but I think it is one of those "Whatever I do I am screwed" hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Thorny, I didn't know you had a blog - I will meander around.

    Congrats on playing so well - very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked around alright - you follow EVERYONE'S blog except mine. Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete